Monday, July 1, 2013

rice krispie/fruity pebble art

So I just moved into a new office at work. Yay! Despite a constant musky smell (facilities assures me "they are working on it") It has a really happy vibe going on. Like most spaces I have anything to do with, it has a lot of light wood and white space with hints of pastel and a doily or lace element here or there. Anyway, working with books, I have a huge need for shelving. After the move, my coworker and I were brainstorming on shelving and storage and the legendary Yaffa Blocks came up. It's important that you watch this. What does this have anything to do with rice krispie/fruity pebble treats? Well, the night of the Yaffa convo, I fell into a deep sleep and dreamed of building things (like bookshelves) out of tiny color blocked cubes of rice krispie/fruity pebble treats. I know...

Clearly, the next step was to make this a reality. So I did!

I love the how fun fruity pebble marshmallow treats look, but they are a tiny bit too sweet. Going halfsies with fruity pebbles and rice krispies is the way to go. Not only do they look awesome, but the flavor is way more balanced. I'll quickly show you how I like to make em and then onto my treat masterpieces (debatable).

All you need is: an 8 by 8 pan coated with nonstick spray, ~4 tablespoons of butta, ~3 cups of mini marshmallows, ~2 cups of rice krispies and ~2 cups of fruity pebbles. A little bit of almond milk is optional. 

Simply melt half the butter in a medium nonstick pan on low heat. The slower the better. Add half of your marshmallows. Once those are nearly melted, you can add a teaspoon or so of almond milk (or regular, half & half etc). This step will make it much more gooey and softer to bite into later. Once everything is melted, remove from heat, add your rice krispies and stir it all up. Once combined press it into the bottom of your prepared pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients (using fruity pebbles this time) and press the next batch right on top of the first layer. Donezo.

It should look like this.
Once it cools down completely, place it on a cutting board and peel down the foil.




Flip the treat over so the fruity pebble side gets a chance to flatten out. Cut into little squares with a sharp knife.
Build a wall!
Or a heart.
Or a teepee with a walkway.
Or don't play with your food and serve em up normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment